“The fire was caused by gas; there is a woman who cooks nearby we heard her gas was left on and that lead to the fire outbreak,” he said.
“We got to the shop this morning and found our things burnt; the fire started 3am this morning, we could not salvage anything. My neighbour kept N2 million in his shop but getting here it was all burnt, we picked the money and all we could feel was the ashes. The security men on duty immediately alerted fire fighters, but they arrived the scene around 6am.”
“Well I can’t give you facts, but judging from all that has happened here since, we cannot ascertain the cause of the fire, this fire started around 2.am. This is typically a business environment; there is no possibility anybody could have been here to ascertain how it started, but some said it began from the electric pole, and giving the fact that there is gas around, it helped the fire to escalate. The information did not get to shop owners until about 5am.”